Salman Law, APC is located in a city that prides itself as progressive in the area of being environmentally conscious or “green.” We applaud our city’s initiative and we want to be a leader in this movement. Accordingly, the firm is committed to being good stewards of the environment and sustainability is a very high priority for the firm. Like our clients and fellow neighbors who are conscientious of their impact on the environment, we are reducing consumption of natural resources in a variety of ways. The fact that we are a small firm does not deter us. The firm believes that whether you are a solo practitioner, small firm, or a large firm with hundreds of lawyers and multiple offices, we can each do our part individually adding to the overall end result collectively. We are doing our part with the hopes of having our initiative spread and take root throughout our local community and eventually throughout the State of California and beyond.
The legal profession, as a whole, holds itself in high regard as principled leaders and innovators in many areas. Regarding the issue of sustainability, we believe it imperative that we be leaders as well. Our hope is that one day in the near future, sustainability will be the norm among all industry and professions rather than merely being relegated to only a few.
Our goal is to decrease consumption, conserve energy, reduce waste, increase recycling, and encourage sustainable practices for commuting and business travel. Because we can achieve more by working together, our firm has adopted a sustainability policy for the entire firm covering all areas of our operations. We continually examine our practices to ensure continual improvement.
Our current policies and initiatives include:
- The firm’s printer and copier paper contains at least 30 percent post-consumer recycled content.
- All printed documents generated for use at the firm are double-sided.
- We have comprehensive recycling programs in our office.
- We share our sustainability policy with all vendors.
- We request and maintain information from vendors regarding environmental impact of their business activities. Vendors are informed that sustainability practices are a factor in our selection criteria.
- Old or obsolete furniture and office supplies are donated whenever possible.
- Unused food from events in our office is delivered to local shelters.
- We no longer use bottled water in our office or at firm functions.
- We store our files digitally. That means a significant reduction in use of paper, ink, and toner.
- We use email to communicate with clients and to share drafts of documents.
- Our work spaces are designed for abundant natural light, and we also only use LED lighting.
- We work out of our home office, which means we do not drive to work or duplicate energy expenses such as heat.
- The estate plan binders we provide to clients are made of 100% recycled materials. Additionally, they are FSC certified 100% post-consumer waste binders board and wood. For each binder, a tree is planted and the mill plants 10-15 trees for every log.
We use technology to lower our costs so that we can maintain reasonable fees. Recent high quality applications from companies like Google have substantially reduced costs for small businesses that know to use them. At Salman Law we use these applications to manage billing, communications, document processing, and digital file storage.
In addition to these actions, we welcome your input and suggestions in this area so that we can continue to improve and spread this initiative to others.